Wednesday, May 19, 2010

My modern-day bible.

"Truth be told, I have never seen “bitch” as a bad word. Instead, I see the word for what it is: a reflection of people’s lack of creativity and inability to acknowledge and embrace a powerful woman.”

When people think Kelly Cutrone, they think "bitch". (After all, that is how she is often portrayed.) But she is anything but that. She is just raw and downright real. Kelly Cutrone offers some true words of wisdom and advice in her new book, "If You Have to Cry, Go Outside." It's truly the modern-day bible. I only have three words: Read this book!

"This is an important lesson to remember when you’re having a bad day, a bad month, or a shitty year. Things will change: you won’t feel this way forever. And anyway, sometimes the hardest lessons to learn are the ones your soul needs most. I believe you can’t feel real joy unless you know what it means to fail. You can’t know what it’s like to feel holy until you know what it’s like to feel really fucking evil. And you can’t be birthed again until you’ve died."


"I was reminded of the Peggy Lee song "Is That All There Is?" was life just a mating game where we're out there looking for a partner and then we have 2.5 kids and, if we're lucky, save over 250,000 for retirement and grow older and either get taken care of by our kids or end up in a nursing home and die? It seemed like we were all just chasing our tails: waking up, going to work, fucking, fighting, loving, saying we're sorry over and over and over again. What are we doing here? And who am I? What is important to me, and who and what am I serving?"

"There can be a fine line between being courageous in following your dreams and being self-destructive in the service of ego, greed, and approval. But then, my mother never told me that if I did everything I was programmed to do and chased all the things I was supposed to chase-and wear, and be without ever developing a true and unshakable sense of self, I'd crash into a million pieces one day when something went wrong."

No comments:

Post a Comment